Monday, June 9, 2014

The Party Room

Our friend Bonny is getting married at the end of the summer and we wanted to have a bachelorette party for her here before the school year is over. We wanted it to include all of her favorite Korean things: jjimjilbangs (spa), Gusto Tacos, and noribangs (karaoke). Katie mentioned this to a Korean friend and she suggested a "party room". Apparently there are these rooms you can rent around Seoul for exactly this situation.

We started the night at Gusto Taco in Hongdae. They might have better tacos than in Denver. What?!
Jamie and Katie


Bonny and Tiffany

Ricki, me, Bony
Becca and Meredith

We left Gusto taco and Katie and I went back to her apartment to get snacks to take to the party room and took a taxi to the hotel. The hotel was in the seediest part of Seoul I've seen. There were a few bars, but mostly just love motels. In fact, I'm pretty sure this party room was in a love motel. But this wouldn't be my first time sharing a room with Katie and Meredith in a love motel.

The party room was spectacular.
A huge hot tub:

The ceiling opens above the hot tub so you can look up at the stars
Karaoke!
A huge table
A huge couch
The place sleeps 6, this is just one of the 2 bedrooms:

Bonny

Awesome decor
We really got into singing





As soon as we woke up in the morning, we sang karaoke again. 
It really was fun. I have a theory that all the love motels and these party rooms are needed in Seoul because it is customary for people to live at home with their parents until they get married, so they don't like to entertain at home.

After checking out, Katie and I shared a taxi back to her place where I had left my car. As we were walking up the stairs to her apartment to get the car keys, I see the parking ticket people pull up. I ran out yelling my newest Korean phrase "wait a minute!" The guy said, very harshly, "no parking!"
 If you look closely in the picture above, you'll see that parking on the sidewalk is the only place to park in Katie's neighborhood. This is how it's done. I said "I know, I'm leaving right now" and he said "too long!" I also knew that while he may not have me on the illegal location, it had been there for at least 12 hours while we were at the party room. I kept yelling "wait just a minute!" in Korean and ran up for the keys.
I got  out of the ticket. I gave him a little respectful bow and he shooed me off yelling "drive! drive!"

This is the ticketing car. See the huge camera on the top?
It's not a great picture because I
was taking it while I was saying "just a minute!"
Anyway, the party room was awesome. We had such a terrific time, we'll miss our good friend Bonny-but she's from Colorado, so it's not goodbye, it's see you soon.

In case you're interested, we were at Gil-dong IMT in the Cloud 9 Party Room. It's near Gildong- station line number 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment