Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Staying cool in Jeongja

It's been so darn hot and humid in Seoul. It was this way last year too. Before returning to Seoul, I decided that I would avoid going outside until mid-September. I've been fairly successful with this goal. Most days I go from our moderately air conditioned apartment (energy crisis) to our car in the parking garage, then drive in the air conditioned car to another air conditioned building. 

Here's the exception so far: new friends took us to the wading pool in Jeongja. Jeongja is close to where we are in Suji. The pool has 2 depths: very shallow (probably 3 inches of water) and shallow (about 2 feet of water).















 People seemed to be setting up camp for the whole day. They would put up these little beach tents and order food. People come around frequently with fliers for different restaurants that deliver food to you at the pool.
after being in the water and away from my bag for about
30 minutes, I came back to find all these fliers.
Since we don't speak Korean, but we wanted to order, I walked to a friendly looking woman 2 tents away and asked her to call by pointing to the phone number on the flier and then pointing to the #1 set.
 She spoke to the people and I recognized one word: "Waygook" which means "foreigner". When the delivery person arrived, he called us back. He couldn't find us at first, so the woman who had made the initial call handled the call and Jim made the hand off.

 What can you get delivered? Pizza, fried chicken, bar food in a sense. What did we get delivered? The "Big Burger" set. The set comes with a liter of coke, a burger meant to be eaten by several people and a box of waffle fries.




As far as I'm concerned, this is the only thing worth going outside for in Seoul in the month of August.

1 comment:

  1. I'm stinking envious of this whole outing its ridiculous. I want to order food and set up camp at a place that my kids will enjoy all day long. That's it. I'm coming there next summer. Just for the wading pool.

    ReplyDelete