Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Get your dancing shoes-it's time for Spin class

I've taken spin classes for a long time. I love them. Spin class, for those of you who don't know, is a class on a stationary bike that simulates a road bike. These classes are usually held in a gym and last about an hour. Overall, it's an excellent workout.

I recently decided that I need more cardio in my life and I'm not ready to really start running, so I wanted to look into spinning classes here. I googled it and came up with nothing-but I knew there were gyms that offered it (I toured one when I was waiting for the Diaso to open one day waaaay back in August). So I asked a Korean staff person at my school too search for it in Korean on Naver. Naver is a Korean search engine. The search resulted in tons of gyms around my dong (neighborhood). We decided that "Hello Gym" in Miegum seemed promising. We called and got the details: they have spin classes at 11am, 7pm and 8pm M-F. And the cost for a 6 month membership (with a foreigner discount) averaged out to about $80 per month. I've finally adjusted a little and only declared "I paid $9 a month for Ballys!" two times-so I'm getting better, but still don't get me started on the price of watermelon.

I showed up for my first class last Friday. I got there a little early to talk to the manager and get a tour. Everyone there wears a Hello Gym uniform (I found out later, this is a "service" and you can leave it there and they launder it!). I got a bike in the front row, not by choice, but becuase the class was already filling up.

Looks like a regular spin set up, right?


Then the class starts. It's normal during the stretching part. Then they kill the lights and turn on THE DISCO LIGHTS. Let me tell you, during that class on Friday, all I could think about was how can I run to the locker room and get my phone to record this? I held back, finished the class and went back on Monday. 

I present to you Korean spin class

This is the spectacular light show-it's like this for the entire class:



Each song has a dance that goes with it. I tried to get as many different songs/clips recorded as I could. The whole time I was worried they would yell at me to leave or smash my phone. Fortunately none of that happened. I did drop my phone on the floor twice during the class while I was trying to be discreet. To really appreciate the awesomeness of Korean spin class, you should watch all the clips. It's hard to miss the dramatic choreography-head to the side, down, up, blowing kisses-am I coordinated enough for this? Probably not, but I still got in a good workout.












This is the longest clip but it is, by far, the best clip. Just watch his shoulders!


There you have it, the best workout class in the world. What I am going to do this summer when I take plain spin in America-so boring! At least I won't totally strain my neck from sneezing after a class like I did last night.

1 comment:

  1. I love spinning class in Korea too! Are you still spinning nowadays?

    ReplyDelete