Friday, February 15, 2013

Happy Birthday to Us

Today is my actual birthday and, like on Christmas, the time difference between Korea and the US feels crazy. I'm going to bed at a reasonable hour (I am 35 now after all) but when I do the math, it's 5:30am on my birthday in the states. But here, the celebration is over. I won't say too much about our birthdays but I will say this. We celebrated with wonderful friends. We even had 2 cakes! One was bought for us and one was made. We feel very lucky.

We ate at Omama Noodles and Cuisine, one of my favorite restaurants and we brought in our own cake(s). We learned two things about Korean birthday traditions tonight: 1. fish cakes are traditional birthday food. So when we finished our delicious meal, and we got out the cakes, the waitress brought everyone some fish cakes to enjoy. The second thing we learned is that when you bring your own cake into a restaurant (as many people do) you give a piece to each of the staff. Lucky for us there were only 2 people working tonight.
Fish cakes

L-R: fish cakes, Emart Traders cake, homemade cake





I wish you could have been here to celebrate with us. Oh well, you can still mail us presents.

No comments:

Post a Comment