Friday, January 18, 2013

How to pay your bills in Korea

There have been many bloggers before us who have shared this exact information. If you haven't moved to Korea, however, chances are you haven't read too many informational blogs about being an expat here. Thus, it is MY chance to show you how we pay our bills here.

It's all done at the bank or at certain ATMs. Since I can't read Korean, I always pay my bills at my bank, where the world's most friendly security guard works. I have been meaning to take a video of this for some time, but it's so quiet in the bank that I felt really self-conscience. Today I threw caution to the wind and videoed it.

Here's what you're going to see. This security guard knows me in that he knows I bank regularly at IBK and that I speak English. He is always very friendly and knows that I need his help navigating the Korean bill paying system. Anyway, he takes the bill and pushes the correct buttons in Korean on the ATM for the bill pay. All bills are submitted this way and money is atomically transferred from your bank account to the company collecting. You submit the side of the bill that says "OCR", the atm reads the bar code (I think) on the bill and adds it up for you. You can submit several bills at one time, in fact, but today I just had one (!).


No comments:

Post a Comment