Friday, November 23, 2012

Happy? Thanksgiving. Well, Thanksgiving anyway

As you probably know, this week is Thanksgiving in the United States. Here we celebrated it with students and staff. On Wednesday, we had our Thanksgiving lunch at the Seoul Campus. It was so great! The food was catered from the US Army base and it was perfect. Each class did a short presentation and it was just a nice, fun time overall.

All the students eating lunch 
Eat until it hurts! It's the American way. 
The principal, Patrick Rich
The PTO moms who put this together had all the ladies wear bonnets.
 That's me with Bonny Wooten

Here's Mr. Joiner serving the kids lunch

mmmmmm

My table

These are all the PTO moms who put this together for us
Just as the Pilgrams had 
1st grade singing a song
On Thursday, the school hosted a dinner at the main campus for faculty and their families.
All the elementary kids filled out a feather of what they were grateful for

Here's Ruby's. It says "I am thankful for Mom, Dad, Grace, August, Charlie, Ruby, KB"
(By the way mom, KB stands for the name
 her class-Kindergarten B, it does not stand
for "Kam Breitenbach")
We had music
The director of the school carved the turkey
I got to sit with Evan

August shut down the kid's table. All the other kids were done eating
and off playing. Not August. He takes eating very seriously.

Here are some others who take eating very seriously.

August making friends with Kenny.

Katie and August preparing leftovers for Jim
 The dinner was really nice. I was feeling a little homesick when I got there though. I mean, what a week. Jim's gone, August is sick. I've been driving back and forth to appointments for August. The final straw was when Grace started crying. At first it was about the juice-she wanted more but there was none. Then it was about the pie-she wanted more, but I didn't want to get up. When I finally got her a second piece of pie and she was still crying (I'm so dense) she finally said, "I just want a normal Thanksgiving in Denver with our whole family". I was done at that point-I felt the same way. She really got to me. The dinner was so nice and the food was so good, but it was so different that I almost wish we had just skipped it. All I could see then, was what Grace could see-all the differences. Too many people, too much noise, bright lights. These things are nothing like Grandma's house or our  house where there's more pie than you can eat and all the family you can play with... We left shortly after that.
I've been told that when raising "3rd culture kids" you need to have strong traditions within your family that you can have with you where ever you are. I told Grace that we needed to come up with our own traditions for Thanksgiving for our family and we should think of something really cool. She said, "I think our tradition should be that we fly to Denver every year".

I took August back to Samsung today for his pre-surgery blood work. As I walked with the volunteer to the lab, I told him that today is a holiday in the US and he said, "yes...uh...black Friday".  Close enough.

2 comments:

  1. Boy, can I relate to this! I made my pies, went to a friend's for turkey dinner and wine and got home and felt nothing but blue. I didn't really get over it untilThanksgiving was over in Colorado on Friday. I'm in agreement with your daughter, at least this year I would have liked for my tradition to be a flight to Colorado. :) Maybe I'll feel differently next year. It was nice to meet you in Costco this morning. I'll be in touch.
    Fellow Suji resident

    ReplyDelete