Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Here's the story

Things have been pretty boring around here lately. In a good way, I would say. As I was walking to the grocery tonight, I was streaming WBEZ public radio from Chicago. I was listening to a story about the firefighters from Chicago firehouse 51 (something like that) sitting down to watch the new fall drama Chicago Fire and comparing it to real life as a fire fighter. As I was listening to the story I thought, hmm, they really had to go looking for a story here.  I realized that's what I'll do for my blog now on those day-to-day normal times. Look, I'll do my best to make it more interesting than a bunch of firefighters critiquing a tv show (so the bar is set pretty low).

 Tonight, as I said, I walked to the little grocery across from Good Morning Hill.


 I was greated, as I aways am, by Mr. Kim. Mr. Kim wears a headset microphone that is broadcast throughout the store. From what I've heard he is telling everyone about how this is the best market and their produce is fresher than the market next door. This is something that is done at a lot of markets. Whenever I say anything about English he makes this sour face and says "English?! No thank you!" From what I can tell, that is all the English he knows. It might sound unfriendly, but it doesn't seem that way in person. I'm 80% sure he's just joking around.

Which one is green tea? At the Lotte Super, which is a little further away, they have boxes with some English. At this market, there were 3 in English (lavender, chamomile, something else). I know what you're thinking. You're thinking you probably could pick out the green tea by the box, but I'm not sure it's that simple.

Here's the foreign food section. Peanut butter up top! A1 sauce and "nacho cheese" are found here too.

Strawberry Nutella? What country is this from?

Off to the meat counter. Tonight I accidentially paid $18 for meat. Last time I went, they had the bulgogi meat I wanted already prepared for a normal price. This time they did not have the meat already prepared, so I asked for it. The butcher went back to the fridge and grabbed a huge slab of beef and cut it how I wanted it. Then at the register I saw the price. I played it cool.
pig's feet
 Here's the butcher, butchering.

Then I had to go. This was a quick trip. There's the other Mr. Kim in the back on the left. 
This Mr. Kim knows our children's names and is very nice. I tried to tell him that the butcher was going to mess up his nice Yamaha coat cutting the meat (see the picture above) and Mr. Kim didn't understand. Oh boy, it turned a bit ackward. He thought I was worried about the meat they were cutting, I was trying to explain about the coat. You know when you say something off the cuff, just to make conversation, but the person you're talking to barely speaks English, but wants to understand what you're saying, but what you're saying isn't importatnt anymore? It was like that. And google translate only made it worse. After that exchange he encouraged me to learn Korean. He tried to teach me "nice to meet you" but I have already forgotten it. Oh well, I can ask people at work for a few more phrases so I can really chat things up at the grocery next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment